3 Simple DIY Tips for Clearing Acne and Acne Scars Naturally
Prefer the simple, natural way of achieving clear skin? We've got you covered: today we're going to give you three simple DIY tips you can do at home right from your kitchen!
Before you start doing DIY skincare at home, it's important you know that not all DIY skincare routines are considered safe for your skin. In fact, there are several common ingredients you should avoid if you want to ensure that you don't do more harm than good for your skin. If you're curious about what DIY ingredients you should avoid, check out this article here.
Now onto the safe DIY tips you can do at home!
1. Put your body into inverted positions, which is any position that places your head below your heart.
How can inverted positions, of all things, help me get rid of my acne blemishes, you ask?
By turning your body upside down, you help move lymph (fluid that contains infection-fighting white blood cells) to key areas of your body more quickly and easily. This will enhance your immune system, because it helps to clean your blood.
This is important because when your immune system is in shape, so is the rest of your body, which translates to a healthy complexion and decreased chances of getting acne.
There are a ton of inverted positions to try, but if you've never done them before, see the chart below to get an idea on how to get started.
*You may want to consult with your doctor or a medical professional before you attempt these positions
Start slow and try doing the easier positions first, such as the bridge, dolphin, or downward dog position.
2. A steaming rosemary facial, which will:
- Gently cleanse your skin by opening up your pores and help to loosen any build up of dirt, bacteria, trapped sebum (naturally occurring oil), and dead skin cells
- Soften blackheads, making them easier to remove when you exfoliate your skin afterwards
- Promote blood circulation, which will help give your skin a natural, healthy glow
- Increase your skin's permeability, thus allowing your skin to absorb your skincare products better
Try this quick and simple recipe:
- 1 tsp of rosemary
- 5 drops of rosemary essential oil (optional)
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- Get a bowl with a large, wide rim, add boiling hot water, and thoroughly stir in the ingredients. Then hover your face a few inches above the water, moving your face around so that the steam hits all parts of your face, for 5-10 minutes
*It is generally recommended to steam your face only once a week, otherwise it may cause reverse effects
3. A stimulating nutmeg face mask, which is anti-inflammatory and microbial and can help reduce acne and acne scarring.
Here's an easy recipe you can whip up in minutes:
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg (you can always add more or less of the nutmeg, depending on how "tingly" you want the mask to be)
- Heat up the mixture to make it smoother and easier to spread.
- Keep on for about 15-20 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water